Let's explore topics on nutrition, safety, legalities, retirement, relevant news, and more!
Healthy Tips on Stress Reduction & Wellbeing
Stress is a prevalent concern creeping into our daily lives. During stressful situations the body enters a state known as fight-or-flight causing changes in heart rate, breathing, and influencing multiple body systems. If unaddressed this automatic response may compromise health and wellbeing. WebMD comments, “When you are stressed, your body responds as though you are in danger. It makes hormones that speed up your heart, make you breathe faster, and give you a burst of energy.” If not managed properly stress can result in illness, sleep disturbances, stomach indigestion, headaches, depression, and other health concerns. Taking a proactive approach in stress reduction is key for a healthy lifestyle.
Stress Reduction Tips:
1. Determining stressors: Take note of situations causing stress. Awareness is the first step to productive and lasting change. Being cognitive of personal triggers is key when developing healthy coping strategies.
2. Practice relaxation: Breathing techniques, meditation, music, and art therapy are some strategies that embrace a mind and body state of balance. Start with a few minutes daily and gradually increase your relaxation practice as fits your lifestyle.
3. Worry less: Certain situations are beyond our control and worrying intensively can result in more tension and anxiety. Take a moment to pause and breathe, then addresses the situation as best as you can. Once you’ve done your part step out and change your environment. Disengaging from stressful situations gives room to calm the mind and better strategizing.
4. Nutrition: Eating a balanced diet is essential for health and wellbeing. Healthy food choices fuel the mind and body with vitamins and minerals, providing natural sources of energy and nutrients.
5. Establish a sleep routine: Getting adequate sleep each night is vital for stress reduction. Lack of sleep contributes to changes in moods and level of alertness throughout the day. If you are experiencing difficulty sleeping the National Sleep Foundation recommends avoiding naps, caffeine, and heavy meals particularly in the later part of the day.
6. Exercise regularly: Develop an exercise routine with your physician that is suitable for your health needs. Numerous studies show many benefits of exercise in stress relief.
7. Make time for enjoyable activities: Engage in hobbies, recreational activities, and experiences that bring joy and fulfillment. Taking a few moments for activities that bring enjoyment can have a positive impact on the rest of your day.
* All information shared in this article should be discussed with your healthcare practitioner prior to incorporating any suggestions. This article is for informational purposes only, and is not intended to provide advice or direct client decisions.